[PolyORB-users] Polyorb-Tools: man pages

Reto Buerki reet at codelabs.ch
Thu May 14 20:51:50 CEST 2009

Jérôme Hugues wrote:
> I'll try to provide an intiial description, of course we would need to
> update the user's guide as well

Sure. I'll submit the created man pages upstream of course.

> regarding ir_ab_names, I let Thomas answer
>
> po_cos_naming_shell is similar to po_cos_naming, see
> ./po_cos_naming_shell --help for more details.

This results in "Invalid Switch -" and then a list of possible command
line switches. Can you give an example on how to use these switches?

For example "po_cos_naming_shell -s" just displays:
creating root directory
registering main service by name...

then it seems to hang ...

po_cos_naming_shell -i results in:
retrieving root directory initial reference...error

Starting the binary without switches seems to work. It starts the
interactive shell which allows to enter commands.

Examples on how to use po_cos_naming_shell in practice would be great.

> po_cos_naming_shell allows you to interact with a COS Naming
> implementaiton, and navigate through it

So I could start po_cos_naming_shell instead of the po_cos_naming binary
as naming service? The difference is that it is possible to interact
with the running po_cos_naming_shell naming service interactively by
using the available shell commands?

> po_createref is a tool used to create IOR strings from the list of
> parameters. Let me know if the command line
> is not self-explanatory, I can add more information

An example on how to create a IOR string for a specific purpose would be
great. The various combinations of command line switches this tool
provides seem quite complex.

> gnatprfh is an internal tool used by iac, it should not be used by the
> end user. this tool computed
> static minimal perfect hash table to be used when performing request
> unmarshalling and to perform
> upcall to user code. CORBA GIOP is storing the name of the method to be
> called as a string, this hash
> table ensures we can build a look up table for finding users code in
> skeletong

Thanks for the explanations!

- reto