[gvd-users] Remote debugging... fixed - more problems...

Daniel Rosenzweig gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:05:59 -0400

ine name.

The problem (B) when it was getting stuck at:

[1] -> "set prompt (gdb) \n"
[1] <- "(gdb) "
[1] -> "set width 0\n"
Was due to it using Reflection's rsh instead of WinNT's rsh (it was first
in the PATH). I specified the correct path in the prefs file, all was
fine. There should be a way to get to the UI before everything is ok.. I
shouldn't have needed to manually create a pref (without
documentation -
by Emmanuel's info- thanks).

The third issue (C - which I never mentioned) was I've also been trying to
get things to work in the proper environment (or else they wouldn't
run)... There are TONS (just a slight exaggeration) of things in a few
nested profile like files which
needed to be set up, so creating config files for gdb was just about
impossible. So I've taken out the interactive part of the .profile (and
called it .autoprof) and did the following, which seems to work (PLEASE
don't remove this loophole -- or better yet, we could use  a non-kludgy
way of doing this (is there one already? - I see debugger parameters and
program parameters, not pre-debugger parameters ):

gvd --host dev1 --debugger ". ./.autoprof ; /opt/langtools/bin/gdb"
--log-level 4 "/my/path/execname"

-----
Here are the remaining two problems (for now):

A) I have to login as another user in some environments....(besides the
.profile issue)... I have started to fiddle with this--- but if anyone has
an answer, it would save some time. (I see someone else posted a similar
question -- without any answers). Where do you get the username from?
Is
it just using the defaults that rsh picks up? The NETUSER has to be set,
but it doesn't seem that it has to match the -l in rsh... I wish that
tracelevel 4 would show the commands that are being sent out--- eg, the
exact rsh and rcp command line parameters... Interestingly, when I tried
rsh (from the command line) as the other user using WinNT's rsh, I got
invalid login... but when I tried it, the same way via Reflection's rsh,
it was fine.... but GVD doesn't work with Reflection's rsh, so I have to
figure out what's what...

B) The other problem, where I can't see where else to fiddle, is that it
doesn't SHOW any of the sourcecode. IT DOES rcp it from the original
server to the PC. I see the GNAT files with the sourcecode in the
c:\gvd\bin directory... but instead of displaying it, it says that the
file is not found...but the program does run within the debugger.  ONCE,
it loaded the main.c file--- but I couldn't see any other .c files and I
could NOT run the program, the menus didn't do anything.  Here is the
log-level 4 log (phoney path/filename):

      "(gdb) "
[1] -> "list\n"
[1] <- "The current source language is "auto; currently c".\r\n"
---SNIP--- (a few lines of code with no comments)

[1] <- "(gdb) Line 51 of "/this/is/the/path/filename.c" starts at address
0x2fb74 <main+16> and ends at 0x2fb7c <main+24>.\r\n"
       "/this/is/the/path/filename.c:51:1597:beg:0x2fb74\r\n"
       "(gdb) \r\n"
[1] -> "info line\n"
[1] <- "Line 51 of "/this/is/the/path/filename.c" starts at address
0x2fb74 <main+16> and ends at 0x2fb7c <main+24>.\r\n"
       "/this/is/the/path/filename/.c:51:1597:beg:0x2fb74\r\n"
[1] <- "(gdb) "
# File not found: /this/is/the/path/filename.c

Thanks alot for all your help--- it's getting there!

---------
Daniel Rosenzweig
danielzr@netzero.net
The URLs below are placed by NetZero - not me.

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
http://www.netzero.net