[gvd-users] Remote debugging... fixed - more problems...

Arnaud Charlet gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:16:22 +0200

> There should be a way to get to the UI before everything is ok.. I

There of course is. In a normal GVD environment, we assume that you have
a proper (local) gdb available.

> gvd --host dev1 --debugger ". ./.autoprof ; /opt/langtools/bin/gdb"
> --log-level 4 "/my/path/execname"

It seems much simpler to create on dev1 a script called mygdb that does
everything needed (like . whatever-config-file; other weird things; gdb).

As for gvd's use of rcp, gvd simply does a "rcp-command" "remote-machine:file"
where remote-machine can be user@remote-machine if you want to specify
a different user name (again, assuming that you've properly set up
rsh for such a job without password prompt).

Note that in our experience, the rsh implementation under NT is very slow
and makes remote debugging from NT not very practical. Complain to
Microsoft, not to us for that.

Arno