[gvd-users] Inferior debuggers - Still can't get gvd to run...

Emmanuel Briot gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:05:50 +0200

Rosenzweig, Daniel Z (Dan), NNAD writes:
 > How does GVD know what command to use with different inferior debuggers?
 > Which inferior debuggers does it actually support? (I see examples in the
 > doc...)
 > Is there any way to get it to support more recent features of the inferior
 > debuggers (memory leak fixing with gdb etc)?

We only support gdb 4.x currently, and a little bit of jdb (the support for the
latter is not very stable yet).
Newer features of gdb are accessible from the command window, at the bottom of
the gvd screen, they simply don't have any menu or toolbar button associated
with them. Patches welcome :-)

As for other debuggers like xdb, they simply aren't supported at the moment. If
you feel like doing a little bit of Ada, you should try to copy the file
debugger-gdb.adb into debugger-xdb.adb and provide the appropriate commands in
there.
Then, in gvd-process.adb, there is a function called Configure in which you
need to put a hook for xdb.

This will provide a preliminary support for xdb. The display window still won't
work though, since you have to provide the parsing functions to convert the
output of the debugger (the "ptype" and "print" command, in gdb terms) into a
structured data. This is done in the files debugger-gdb-c.adb,
debugger-gdb-ada.adb, ... (of course, you only need to implement your favorite
language).

Maybe someone else needs xdb and you could synchronize. The gvd-devel mailing
list can be used to discuss such things.

 > Then I tried to run GVD with Wildebeest (HPs version of GDB - it still has
 > the gdb prompt/executable name etc.) The problem is my home directory is on
 > HP Server A, mounted onto HP Server B. gdb is on server B. If I try to rsh
 > to server B directly form the PC, I get an invalid login.... (Any ideas on
 > how to get around this?)

We need the exact error message from the log file, when run with --log-level 4

 > gvd --debugger "remsh SERVER2 -l dr  /opt/langtools/bin/gdb" --log-level 4
 > --host SERVER1 "/user/danr/pric3"
 >
 > (I don't remember reading in the GVD docs that quotes are needed around
 > directory paths on Windows --- but they are, since otherwise the directories
 > are read as switches by windows....)

Yeah, well, we do not explain either how to get windows functioning properly
(or we would be rich :-)

Emmanuel