[gvd-users] Inferior debuggers - Still can't get gvd to run...

Rosenzweig, Daniel Z (Dan), NNAD gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:00:52 -0400

How does GVD know what command to use with different inferior debuggers?
Which inferior debuggers does it actually support? (I see examples in the
doc...)
Is there any way to get it to support more recent features of the inferior
debuggers (memory leak fixing with gdb etc)?

I tried to use gvd on an NT PC with xdb running remotely on an HPUX server-
which is where the executable to be debugged would be running (using the
'--debugger',--log-level 4 '--host' switches)
and the log at log-level 4 shows me the xdb list of command switches, since
GVD seems to be trying to run xdb with the gdb switches which are invalid
for xdb. From this, I would think that it supports gdb only... but that
doesn't seem so from the documentation. Where does GVD know which commands
to send to the debugger?

Then I tried to run GVD with Wildebeest (HPs version of GDB - it still has
the gdb prompt/executable name etc.) The problem is my home directory is on
HP Server A, mounted onto HP Server B. gdb is on server B. If I try to rsh
to server B directly form the PC, I get an invalid login.... (Any ideas on
how to get around this?)
So, I decided to do a two step process (so much for minimizing network
traffic).
(phonied names)

gvd --debugger "remsh SERVER2 -l dr  /opt/langtools/bin/gdb" --log-level 4
--host SERVER1 "/user/danr/pric3"

(I don't remember reading in the GVD docs that quotes are needed around
directory paths on Windows --- but they are, since otherwise the directories
are read as switches by windows....)

Well, on server2, I see that the following is running:
/opt/langtools/bin/gdb -nw -q

Looking at the logfile, I see the following:
[1] -> "set prompt (gdb) \n"
[1] <- "(gdb) "
[1] -> "set width 0\n"

Why did this stop here?

I even tried  to do  gvd --debugger debug filename
on the PC directly... no errors, or anything... I don't know if this is
related, but I then get
NTVDM.EXE which runs 99% CPU utilization on the PC.

For all of these, I never get the actual debugger UI screen (which may be
normal, in an error condition like the above - as in, maybe the screen
should not come up until proper debugger response it received).

Suggestions please!
Thanks