[gvd-users] rexec instead of rsh? preferences file?

Emmanuel Briot gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:58:21 +0200

Rosenzweig, Daniel Z (Dan), NNAD writes:
 > Could rexec be used instead of rsh, so that I can specify a password and
 > hopefully get around the problem where I can't rsh to a host where the home
 > directory is mounted remotely?

Yes, through the preferences, as you correctly guessed in your mail.
However, I doubt you will be able to specify the password, I don't think we
correctly handle the question from external programs like rsh. You should
instead play with a .rhosts file, which is the standard way to avoid giving
passwords with rsh.

Anyway, try creating a $HOME/.gvd/preferences file that contains the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<GVD_Preferences>
  <Remote_Copy>rcp</Remote_Copy>
  <Remote_Protocol>rexec</Remote_Protocol>
</GVD_Preferences>

Emmanuel