[gvd-users] run in win98 + NT -- help please

vass D gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 00:53:17 -0700 (PDT)

hello again...

Dan, check this out. On the NT machine i got cygwin
installed. from bash (cygwin) if i type gdb it comes
up with the insight debugger version. so now there are
two gdb versions installed. one coming with
djgpp(4.18) that i was trying to make gvd work with
yesterday, and version 5 coming with cygwin.

as  i was in the cygwin bash, i typed gvd and guess
what...it worked. at the bottom window of gvd i type
'show version' and comes up with GDB5, configured as
'i686-pc-cygwin'.

now why it doesnt work with gdb4.18
(i386-pc-msdosdjgpp) and works with cygwin version 5 i
dont know...

in the first case, first run created .gvd and nothing
happens. in the second it creates .gvd (in some other
directory) and the main window comes up. go figure
out...bloody computers...

i'll try more to make it work not with cygwin version
cause all cygwin progs run much slower that the
corresponding ones coming with djgpp.

anyway, i would like to thank you again for all your
help. without it i wouldnt have it working at all and
i'd probably forget about it.

i wish i could return it to u but as i said before i'm
beginner in programming, in gdb, in gvd...

remote debugging is far from my knowledge.

the reason i try to make gvd work is that i'm trying
to make a habit of using open sourse tools instead of
proprietary software, which is good quality, free, and
portable between os. at work i'm named a bit of a
wierdow...people cant understand why i dont use the ms
visual studio that we have there, and 'waste my time
when i should be doing work'...

anyway, thanx again and take care. hope u it works for
you soon enough.

--- "Rosenzweig, Daniel Z (Dan), NNAD" <danr@att.com>