[gtkada] SVN

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Wed Jul 3 20:33:31 CEST 2013

On 7/3/2013 20:25, Nicolas Setton wrote:
> Regarding classic RELEASE tarballs, is there something that you
> expect in particular on top of what is already available through
> libre.adacore.com?

Well, I'm having trouble using what is released yearly by Adacore.  For
example, xmlada changed its numbering.  It's really at version 4.4w, but
it was released as "2013" which is incompatible with previous numbering.
  Moreover, there's never been a "4.3 release".

 From what I can tell, Adacore just picks a point in the trunk and
packages that, but it doesn't tag and/or release at the version change.
  What would be normal (in the case of xmlada) is that the trunk be
versioned as 4.4w, but prior to that 4.3 is branched and released.  And
then bug fixes get applied to both the 4.3 branch and the trunk.  That
workflow may happen internally but it's not exposed.

So if branch 4.3 was exposed and then bug fixes were applied, then
package systems could have access to those fixes.  At the moment the
best we can do is cherry-pick from the trunk and that requires a fair
amount of study as well.

Does that make sense?  The same can be said about gtkada, aws, etc.

John