[gtkada] Building GTKAda testgtk on Debian (Sid)

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Wed Sep 5 19:25:18 CEST 2012

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:57:16 +0200, Nicolas Setton wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
>> Hi all,
>> Apologies if this is the wrong place for asking a Debian-specific
>> GTKAda
>> question...
>>
>> I have installed all the packages I thought were needed on Debian
>> (mainly libgtkada2.24.1-dev and its dependencies)
>
> This is indeed not the right mailing list, we do not have visibility
> nor control on the Debian packaging of GtkAda, you will have better
> luck on the Debian mailing lists.

I'm on this list, so it is as appropriate as any other :)
The only reason I didn't reply immediately was because I was too busy.

> From what you are saying, it looks like they might have removed
> gtkextra from the GtkAda distribution, but forgot to modify testgtk.
> However, the modification to remove the dependency of testgtk on
> gtkextra should not be complex.

That's correct.  There were discussions on this very mailing list
about the obsolescence of GtkExtra:

http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2009-June/003811.html

I remember that I patched testgtk to build and run without GtkExtra in
version 2.14.2-1.  The patch was aptly named "no_gtkextra.patch" and
it was later removed:

http://www.ada-france.org:8081/revision/info/8a5a9744221c7afed727a67664563d5e72205867

I think the underlying assumption for this removal was that testgtk
no longer required GtkExtra, which has been obsolete for years now.
Maybe this assumption is wrong.

I'll try to find the time to see why testgtk still requires GtkExtra.
If the problem is in AdaCore's repository I'll report back here.  In
the mean time, followup to 686781 at bugs.debian.org or
http://bugs.debian.org/686781 which Brian just opened.

--
Ludovic Brenta.