[gtkada] UTF-8 in GtkAda 2.0

Alejandro. R. Mosteo Chagoyen alejandro at mosteo.com
Wed Mar 26 18:39:11 CET 2003

>>Now I follow your reasoning... but that's traslating the problem to
>>every applicationg using GtkAda, right?

> I'm not sure I understand the question, but taking care that all strings
> are properly converted before passing them to Gtk could be a bit painful
> as Jacob mentioned.

That's what I'm referring. If no explicit utf8 type is defined,
because regular strings are used (note that I don't know GtkAda), the
problem of (if you want) defining types and take care to no mix
"Strings" with "Strings containing utf8 encoded data" is open for each
application.

Simply requiring a specific GtkAda.utf8 type would make aware any
programmer of that (but conversions would be equally to be performed).

Maybe I'm out of track, only chatting here.