[gtkada] UTF-8 in GtkAda 2.0

Jacob Sparre Andersen sparre at nbi.dk
Thu Mar 27 10:28:54 CET 2003

Alejandro. R. Mosteo Chagoyen wrote:

> That's what I'm referring. If no explicit utf8 type is
> defined, because regular strings are used (note that I
> don't know GtkAda), the problem of (if you want) defining
> types and take care to no mix "Strings" with "Strings
> containing utf8 encoded data" is open for each
> application.

Exactly.

> Simply requiring a specific GtkAda.utf8 type would make
> aware any programmer of that

Yes.  And implementing it as a private type would even
prevent the programmers from accidentally putting non-UTF-8
byte sequences into objects of that type (even the ISO-10646
library Ngeadal hasn't gone that far).

> (but conversions would be equally to be performed).

Only if the program doesn't use the GtkAda.UTF8 type
internally.

Jacob
--
"Hungh. You see! More bear. Yellow snow is always dead give-away."