[gtkada] ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Wed Jul 16 10:54:04 CEST 2003

Arnaud Charlet <charlet at ACT-Europe.FR> wrote on 16/07/2003 (10:22) :
> The help widget is a simple html browser, based on GtkHTML (version
> 1), without gnome deps.

I see.

> This widget is basically no longer maintained and is being replaced by
> GtkHTML 2, a complete rewrite.
>
> The medium term plan is to use GtkHTML 2 in the future, althout
> GtkHTML 2 has an extra dependency (libxml2) and extra memory
> requirements, but since it is actively maintained, the benefits will
> soon outweight the cons.

I see. Of course it would perhaps be better to make an engine that only
work with a limited set of the HTML as one don't need all the whistle
and bells of HTML in a help file. Also since HTML renderes have a
tendency to crash at times. However the work lies in making the widget
for redering the pages.

> We will do that at some point. Since the focus has up to now been on
> supporting Ada, GPS is not quite ready yet for single C/C++ users,
> which is why we haven't announced it yet.

Good! Sounds like a better plan.

--
Preben Randhol -------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Ada95 --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»