[gtkada] ANNOUNCE: GNAT Programming System

Arnaud Charlet charlet at ACT-Europe.FR
Wed Jul 16 10:20:08 CEST 2003

> Excellent work! It looks very nice so far!

Thank you.

> One question the help widget looks very impressive. Any chance this can
> be a seperate widget in GtkAda so all GtkAda programs can use this if
> they want to by packing it ina window or similar. That would be really
> nice! Btw. what is the source of the help files (tex)info or html? Sorry
> haven't got around to look at all specifics.

The help widget is a simple html browser, based on GtkHTML (version 1),
without gnome deps.

This widget is basically no longer maintained and is being replaced by
GtkHTML 2, a complete rewrite.

The medium term plan is to use GtkHTML 2 in the future, althout GtkHTML 2
has an extra dependency (libxml2) and extra memory requirements, but since
it is actively maintained, the benefits will soon outweight the cons.

> PS: An announcement at www.gnome.org (and kde) on their footnews and/or
> software map would be nice to attract also C and C++ users to gps.

We will do that at some point. Since the focus has up to now been on supporting
Ada, GPS is not quite ready yet for single C/C++ users, which is why we haven't
announced it yet.

Arno