[gtkada] Slowness on Linux

manuel.op.de.coul at eon-benelux.com manuel.op.de.coul at eon-benelux.com
Thu Oct 18 14:32:51 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've compiled my application on a new pc with Redhat
Linux 7.1. It works, but the graphical actions are
tremendously slow. Often it takes several seconds for
a dialog window to be drawn and there's even a dialog
that opens a set of small pixmap files that takes 20 seconds
to appear! None of this happens on Unix and Windows.
I have no idea what's causing it. The processor is a
1.5 GHz Pentium and "top" shows that the total CPU load is
only a few percent. Memory is 128 MB. No swapping occurring.
Strange enough, testgtk is not slow like that. Other Gtk
programs also behave normally.
Linux was installed straight out of the box.
Gtkada is the latest version, GNAT is 3.13p.
The application is quite large, 95000 Ada lines.
Linking statically made no difference.
Stripping debug info made no difference.
Pragma Restricted_Run_Time made no difference.
Gnome or KDE desktop made no difference.

Is this familiar to anyone? Some strange interaction
of Gtkada with the X-window manager?

Thanks very much,

Manuel Op de Coul