[gtkada] Text Entry layout in a HBox problem (new user)

Arnaud Charlet charlet at ACT-Europe.FR
Thu Feb 8 10:34:23 CET 2001

>     I've just started using GtkAda in a conversion of a c++ app to ada,
> and found it to be excellent.

Thanks.

>     Is there a way to set the maximum number of characters for a Text
> Entry widget, such that the widget will not grow beyond the size needed
> to display the max number of characters ?

This is actually a general Gtk issue.

Setting the max number of chars only tells the Gtk widget that no other chars
can be entered by the user, it does not affect the visual size/aspect of the
widget. This size is determined by the containers around it.

Also you need to keep in mind that n chars will never take the same size,
depending on the font and characters used (the latter in case you use
a non proportional font, the default).

Arno