[gtkada] Text Entry layout in a HBox problem (new user)

Charles Darcy charlie at mullum.com.au
Thu Feb 8 07:39:53 CET 2001

Hi,

    I've just started using GtkAda in a conversion of a c++ app to ada,
and found it to be excellent.

    I do have one problem, however.

    I would like to have two Text Entry widgets in a HBox. The first
needs to be able to display text of varying length. The second only
needs to display at most 4 characters. At the moment, each Text Entry
widget is the same size, which results in the first widgets text not
being completely displayed, and the second widget taking up much more
space than is needed. I have made the HBox non-homogenous, and have
disabled Expand and Fill for it, and set the Max Length property of the
second widget to 4, all to no avail. I also tried placing the Text Entry
widgets in Alignment containers and playing with the Align and Scale
properties, also with no success.

    Is there a way to set the maximum number of characters for a Text
Entry widget, such that the widget will not grow beyond the size needed
to display the max number of characters ?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated,

regards,

Charlie.