[newbie][gtkada] Latest Release minor bug with Win32 Port

Jean-Pierre Rosen rosen.adalog at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 31 11:01:37 CEST 2000

> That sounds very interesting, but I know nothing of either gcs or Gnat-ACS.  I'm using Gnat on both WinTel and Linux-Intel, and
would
> like some way of scripting it that would work on both systems.  (Or does gcs offer something else?)  I know little enough that I
don't
> really have a clear idea of what you are suggesting.

ACS was the Ada Compilation Support under Dec-Ada; the way gcs works is liberally inspired from ACS, hence its name.

gcs gives a compilation model that is closer to the old "library" model, i.e. it manages a library that holds copies of the source
files, .ali and .o files. The "library" can either be a separate directory, or the current directory; in the latter case, it is
closer to the normal gnat compilation model (no compilation order required).

A library may have "links" to other libraries (libraries that are searched for software components), and "parent" libraries. A
parent library is also searched for missing units, but it is intended to manage, for example, multiple versions: you can have stable
modules in a parent library, and development modules in child libraries. Another usage is when you have various targets: you put the
common modules in the parent libraries, and the target-specific ones in child libraries. This way, you can rebuild a version for any
target by just changing the current library.

gcs has its own language; for example, to set a link to a library, you just issue:
   set link /usr/local/adalib

There is a full documentation in HTML.
           J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog at wanadoo.fr)
Visit Adalog's web site at http://pro.wanadoo.fr/adalog