[gtkada] Documentation generation tool

Samuel Tardieu sam at ada.eu.org
Tue Jul 4 17:28:58 CEST 2000

Arnaud> I guess so. It is really unfortunate if indeed the
Arnaud> pre-packaged versions of GtkAda are removing critical
Arnaud> tools/files, but well, these are out of our control.

I guess you are talking about docs/gtkada_rm/generate_doc.pl? (it took
me some time to find it, as there is no mention of it at all in
README, INSTALL or any other file byt docs/gtkada_rm/Makefile)

The tarball does not reference this tool anywhere, even in the
"content" section of the README which supposedly describes everything
useful contained in the tarball.

Moreover, your installation instructions say: (from INSTALL)

To install GtkAda, you first need to install glib and gtk+, then
do the following:
   $ ./configure --prefix=<installation_directory>
   $ make install

which does *NOT* install the script either.

So please, do not try to have people think that packagers have removed
critical tools/files from the binary package when nothing shows
that the authors consider a Perl script in the third level of the
hierarchy as "critical" (and I hardly see how it can be considered
critical anyway, but I and other porters usually respect the upstream
decisions).

And if it is such a critical tool, do not forget to indicate that Perl
must be installed as well to use GtkAda (as it is not required at this
time):)

  Sam, Debian packager for GtkAda, and happy user of GtkAda
Samuel Tardieu -- sam at ada.eu.org