[gtkada] bug in gtkada-config --static ???

Emmanuel Briot briot at gnat.com
Fri Dec 22 14:08:07 CET 2000

 > This may not be a bug, but when I specify "--static" when compiling
 > using "gtkada-config", the gmodule library is not statically
 > bound in.  Is there some reason for this?  I don't know much
 > about gmodule, other than it is used for dynamic module loading,
 > plug-ins, etc, but is it necessary that gmodule itself be
 > dynamically bound?  If I do bind it statically, does anyone
 > have any thoughts about problems I may run into?

This indeed should work fine. I can't remember why we didn't link gmodule
statically.
I am not sure that this library is always needed.
For instance, we have compiled and distributed the GNU visual debugger (gvd)
as a statically linked executable at least on Solaris, and the result of ldd
doesn't show gmodule in the list of dependencies. Thus we probably didn't
think of that library when implementing gtkada-config --static.
I might also not be present on all systems.

Let us know the results of your experiments, and if positive we will update
gtkada-config to statically link with gmodule

regards,