[gps-users] X-Windows freeze

Frode Tennebø frode at tennebo.com
Sun Aug 8 22:22:54 CEST 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 19:09, Leon Pollak wrote:

> 	Then, when I return to GPS, I see that it is VERY(!) slow, each
> action takes A LOT of time. When I close it, it closes slowly and
> then totally freezes my X-Windows/KDE. Nothing can be done, even
> mouse move for about 2-2.5 minutes!! After this long time everything
> normalizes and I can continue to work.

My immediate guess is that GPS has been paged out (almost completely)
and your OS is then trying to page everything in again (hence, paging
something else out). THis combined with little RAM, slow CPU and slow
disk(s) can make systems unresponsive for some time. How long will vary
from system to system and case to case.

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: frode at tennebo.com | Frode at IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |