[gps-users] X-Windows freeze

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Mon Aug 9 12:47:34 CEST 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 23:22, Frode Tennebø wrote:
> On Sunday 08 August 2004 19:09, Leon Pollak wrote:
> > 	Then, when I return to GPS, I see that it is VERY(!) slow, each
> > action takes A LOT of time. When I close it, it closes slowly and
> > then totally freezes my X-Windows/KDE. Nothing can be done, even
> > mouse move for about 2-2.5 minutes!! After this long time everything
> > normalizes and I can continue to work.
>
> My immediate guess is that GPS has been paged out (almost completely)
> and your OS is then trying to page everything in again (hence, paging
> something else out). THis combined with little RAM, slow CPU and slow
> disk(s) can make systems unresponsive for some time. How long will vary
> from system to system and case to case.

Hmm.... I understand what you mean, but it is hard to believe. This is the
only application which behaves this way. For example, Mozilla, which while
debugging, I do not use for hours, is restored in 1-2 seconds maximum.

Anyway, CPU is Athlon 1300MHz, RAM=512MB, disk is 7200RPM.
And is there something even in a slow system, which may take 2 minutes (!) to
exchange pages/ram/disk..? And my OS is Linux RH9.

--
Leon M.Pollak
leonp at plris dot com