[GAP] CrossTalk CS Education article

Anthony S Ruocco aruocco at rwu.edu
Fri Jan 4 15:32:06 CET 2008

Unfortuantley, this is somewhat a preaching to the choir issue.  As a small program, fighting for every student (and then fighting to retain them) I can add some other perspectives.  I cannot count the number of parents who come to open houses wanting to ensure their child will learn Java as a freshman to 'make sure they can get a job.'  I have never been given an explanation of why CS needs to prepare students for jobs based on a freshman course.  I know of no parent of engineer students asking about CAD-based courses for freshmen to ensure a job four years later!

Math is a major issue.  CAC accrediatation does require 15 credit hours of math beyond college algebra, but only specifies Discrete Math as a requirement.  At RWU we have an embedded Math minor as part of the program.  This requirement was supported by our most-likely employers (Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, MediTech). We had to step back from that as very few prospective students were entering prepared for that level of rigor.  Fewer and fewer are prepared to begin calculus, and some are not ready for college algebra!

One of my continuing concerns based on attendance at numerous conference (FIE, SIGCSE) is the notion that students need to have fun in courses.  While I agree that having fun helps and can be part of an exercise, it seems to have hit the point where fun is its own measurable attribute of a course.  Faculty members spend inordinate amount of time ensuring some exercise focuses on being fun for the student, with the intent the student will 'pick up the key points along the way.'  Unfortunately, no one ever goes back to tell the student what the key points should have been!  Many students graduate with no fundamental understanding of 'sequence-selection-iteration' never mind pointer semantics.

I admit that my program has less fun than many others.  On the other hand, by the time my sutdents graduate they understand problem solving.  We also strive to instill in them a sense that once the problem is understood, the language should be a design decision and the one chosen for implementation becomes a syntax issue, not a problem soultion issue.

Tony RUocco, RWU