[GAP] CrossTalk CS Education article

Jamie Ayre ayre at adacore.com
Fri Jan 4 11:42:05 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

Firstly, let me wish you all a very happy new year and plenty of
success for 2008!

Secondly, I thought you may be interested to read Robert Dewar's and
Ed Schonberg's recently published article in CrossTalk:

"Computer Science Education: Where Are the Software Engineers of
Tomorrow?"

<http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/CrossTalk/2008/01/0801DewarSchonberg.html>

Abstract:

"It is our view that Computer Science (CS) education is neglecting
basic skills, in particular in the areas of programming and formal
methods. We consider that the general adoption of Java as a first
programming language is in part responsible for this decline. We
examine briefly the set of programming skills that should be part of
every software professional’s repertoire."