[GAP] Ada 2005 API

Robert Dewar dewar at adacore.com
Mon Feb 25 18:54:52 CET 2008

Ted Baker wrote:
>> Actually to me it is better to just browse the specs in e.g. GPS,
>> because then  you have full browsing capabilities which significantly
>> exceed what you can get in HTML form.
>
> I see several aspects of the Java on-line documentation that are
> appealing, and with which we need to compete:
>
> 1) It has browsing/search capabilities (which you say is better in GPS).
>
> 2) It is free (I guess GPS is distributed for free, even outside GAP?)
yes, of course, the GPL version

> 3) It does not require a user to install anything special on the
> local system, or to be using a particular programming
> support environment. (This seems to be a shortcoming with GPS).
Perhaps, but it is likely that anyone interested in the Ada doc has
the GPL version installed.

> I guess (3) could be ameliorated if the browsable documentation
> were de-coupled from GPS, and bundled into the default GNAT
> packages that people get when they install the various Linux
> distributions.

We don't provide any kind of support, input, testing or any other
comments on those default linux distributions of GNAT, none of
which are tested thoroughly, and many of which are broken. We
encourage hobbyists, and developers of free software to install
the GNAT GPL version.