[GAP] Ada 2005 API

Ted Baker baker at cs.fsu.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:02:39 CET 2008

> Actually to me it is better to just browse the specs in e.g. GPS,
> because then  you have full browsing capabilities which significantly
> exceed what you can get in HTML form.

I see several aspects of the Java on-line documentation that are
appealing, and with which we need to compete:

1) It has browsing/search capabilities (which you say is better in GPS).

2) It is free (I guess GPS is distributed for free, even outside GAP?)

3) It does not require a user to install anything special on the
local system, or to be using a particular programming
support environment. (This seems to be a shortcoming with GPS).

I guess (3) could be ameliorated if the browsable documentation
were de-coupled from GPS, and bundled into the default GNAT
packages that people get when they install the various Linux
distributions.

--Ted