[GAP] Ada 2005 API

Robert Dewar dewar at adacore.com
Fri Feb 22 13:17:14 CET 2008

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
> Robert Dewar a écrit :
>> So I think a project to comment all the RM specs in the GNAT
>> library would make sense (similar to the existing doc for GNAT
>> units).
> Especially if you run gnathtml over it. That would produce something
> like what students have in Java.

Actually to me it is better to just browse the specs in e.g. GPS,
because then  you have full browsing capabilities which significantly
exceed what you can get in HTML form.

After all if this documentation is on your machine, you do not need
to go wasting time on the web to get to it!

> Alternatively (or in addition), detailed overview and explanations of
> the standard library could be provided as an annex to the Ada wikibook.
> The effort has to be started by someone (templates...), but then we
> could call to the community to provide the bulk of the material.

It's certainly fine to have documentation for Annex A at various
levels. When I was teaching Ada, I always found that this was the
one section of the RM that was in fact quite accessible (the
example for me of having to go to fixed-strings for full
description of unbounded strings is for example less than
compelling, if the semantics are the same for all string
packages in an area, duplicating the descriptions is not
necessarily helpful,

But anyway, most certainly, as I say it would be fine to have
additional documentation, and the idea of more extensively
documenting the GNAT Ada.* specs seems very reasonable to me.