[AWS] "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" message from Gnat's copy of gcc

Jocelyn Paine popx at j-paine.org
Sat Jan 8 09:33:50 CET 2011

Hi Pascal. I've used Gnat and AWS before, and I'm reinstalling it on
Windows XP after losing my hard disc. The versions now out seem to be
newer than those I last used, and I'm getting problems with gcc crashing.
While trying to sort these out, I've discovered that Gnat brings its own
copy of gcc, which puzzles me. It's this gcc that crashes. But when I
replace it by my own gcc, Gnat doesn't recognise it.

The details are: I'm installing under XP, running on a Toshiba Satellite
Centrino. I downloaded Gnat and AWS yesterday from
http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2 , selecting
gnat-gpl-2010-1-i686-pc-mingw21-bin.exe for GNAT_GPL, and
aws-gpl-2.8.0-src.tgz for AWS. I installed Gnat so that it was in
c:\GNAT\2010\ .

I then tried to start making AWS by running "make setup" under Cygwin.
Before doing that, I reinstalled Cygwin and gcc, so that I should have the
latest versions of both. When I called "make setup" under Cygwin, it gave
this output:
   gcc -c check_config.c

   This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
     unusual way.
   gprbuild: *** compilation phase failed.

Still under Cygwin, I did a "find" on check_config.c so that I could try
compiling it directly from the command line, to see what was happening. It
was in the config/setup subdirectory. Its full path, given where I copied
AWS to, was
   c:/temp/AWS/aws-gpl-2.8.0-src/config/setup .

I went to that subdirectory and typed
   gcc -c check_config.c
This worked, and when I then linked and ran check_config, I got the
message
   Syntax: check_config <filename>

So gcc run from the command line worked, and the check_config.exe
that it and the linker generated was probably OK. I also tested gcc
on a Hello World program:
   gcc -c hello_world.c
When I linked and ran that, it worked. So I had to ask myself, why
does gcc crash when run from AWS's "make setup", but run OK from my
Cygwin command line?

I wondered whether Gnat was using its own copy of gcc. So I went to my
top-level Gnat directory, and looked for a gcc. And I found one in
c:\GNAT\2010\bin\ . It has a gcc.exe, whose creation date is June 4th.
When I tried running _this_ gcc on my Hello World program, it crashed with
the same "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way" message as above. So it looks as though Gnat 2010 supplies
its own gcc, and this doesn't work on my system.

So I tried replacing Gnat's gcc by mine. My gcc is in /usr/bin/gcc . I
copied that to c:/GNAT/2010/bin/gcc.exe . I then ran "make setup" again.
This time, it crashed with the message
   setup.grp:31:09: warning: no compiler specified for language "C",
     ignoring all its sources
   setup.gpr:34:18: "check_config" is not a source of project "setup"
   gprbuild: problems with main sources

What's going on here? Should I be using the gcc supplied with Gnat or my
own, and if the latter, how do I make setup.grp recognise it?

Kind regards,

Jocelyn Ireson-Paine
http://www.j-paine.org

Jocelyn's Cartoons: