[AWS] Writing a wiki software with aws

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:00:01 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Christian Forster <boronk at boronk.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My Name is Christian Forster and I am from germany. I have written a wiki
> software for private use in perl. Now, almost satisfied with the outcome a
> thought it would be a good idea to reimplement it with a faster language.
>
> Knowing ada from work, I think, despite the elaborate code it would be a good
> idea to use it for some type of web application.

A worthy goal indeed!

Perhaps something like this:  http://www.stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html

> * support for xslt, which is now done with xsltproc and I think would be
> better to be integrated

I'm not aware of any Ada powered XSLT processors. Perhaps a binding
could be made to xsltproc?

Perhaps GNU.PDF:  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~puk/

> * SSL support (I think, that is available)

It's available in AWS:
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/aws-docs/aws.html#Secure-server

https://gna.org/projects/g2f/

> * some type of safe server side scripting. I use at the moment JE for that
> purpose, but that is really, really slow. This is needed to give the writer of
> the texts in the wiki the possibility to do some automation or form-handling.
> The best would be to have some type of javascript engine since all is written
> in javascript. If only other languages are available like lua, this would be
> also ok.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but GNATCOLL allows
for embedding script languages:
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatcoll-docs/gnatcoll.html#Embedding-script-languages

> Is this possible?

I think most of what you want is possible, if not in pure Ada, then in
the form of bindings to existing libraries. Whether or not the above
suggestions actually work I don't know.  :o)

I'm very interested in hearing how your AdaWiki project turns out. I'm
on my own quest to move away from an interpreted language (PHP/XSLT)
to a pure AWS environment, and a wiki is also on my long list of
things I need before I can get rid of PHP completely.

Good luck!
Thomas Løcke