[AWS] On Windows, what updates path to .dll files?

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Fri Aug 29 16:42:14 CEST 2008

Jocelyn,

> I've just built AWS on Windows XP, and tried running the hello_world.exe
> file that 'make' makes. (With my directory layout and configuration
> settings, this is in
> c:\aws\.build\release\relocatable\demos\hello_world.exe .)
>
> Running hello_world.exe failed, complaining that libaws_ssl.dll can't be
> found.  To check this, I changed my current directory to where
> libaws_ssl.dll is, which is C:\aws\.build\release\relocatable\lib\ssl\ ,
> and tried running hello_world.exe again. This time, it complained that it
> couldn't find libaws_include.dll .

Expected. There is many DLLs built. You need to install AWS:

   $ make install

This will put a copy of all DLLs into the <install_root>/bin directory.
Add this directory to the PATH and it should work.

> I'm sure I can fix this by finding out where all the DLLs are and putting
> them on my PATH. But I want to check first that I have to do this.
> Shouldn't 'make install' have done it for me? I didn't see a mention of

Yes it should. But have you updated the PATH variable. Windows
application won't found these DLLs otherwise.

> those DLLs in the User Guide. And it seems inconvenient to have to work
> out where all the DLLs live and to guess which ones I shall need.

> Also, I shall eventually have to install the software on Windows machines
> belonging to other people. Can I be sure that the AWS DLLs won't clash
> with DLLs that might have the same name, but belong to other programs?

Well everything is possible but as all those DLLs are prefixed by
"libaws" the probability is low. The only exception is libz.dll, but
this is a common library.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|