[AWS] AWS as a service on a Win2000 server

David Marceau davidmarceau@sympatico.ca
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:24:54 -0500

Patrice Freydiere wrote:

> I tried runme demo as service, on a W2k plateform,
>
> i built the Aws1.4 demo runme_server and runme_control.
> for that i took the service.ad? and service-server.ad? files from the seti
> home project.
>
> it build with a warning that i don't exactly remember ...
> then i put needed DLL (ssl, .. ) in the system32 directory. i checked that
> runme_server don't need further dependency.
>
> then i registered the service using runme_control -i
>
> and tried to launch the service using the control panel of windows.
>
> first time it crash because it tried to launch a runme_server.exe in the
> current path ..
> i put a full path with the registry tool, then tried to launch it again ..
> it crash ??
> looking at the event panel, windows logged that an unexpected crash append,
> and it didn't the reason !
>
> has any one information about debugging services ?
The Numega Debugger also known as SoftIce is a kernel level debugger.
The problem is that your debugging something with non-Codeview debug symbols.
You have stabs with gnu cc.
What you could do is find out the process id in windows for the -g'd dll/exe for
SETI or RUNME,
then from gdb you do an attach [process id].
>From there if you have the sources in the path, it should permit you to list and
set breakpoints.
The problem again is that the application isn't running yet or at least doesn't
seem to be.
Check out if the process exists in the process viewer.  If it does you may be
able to attach to the process if your lucky.
If not, then I would resort to at least trying it from softice.
One more trick, if you have mvdev, then you could do a debug placing the exe to
run as the parameter.  MSVC will popup a dialog saying there are no debug
symbols for this exe, just continue debugging anyways.  This method allows you
to debug dlls or exes.
The only thing you will be able to see if your lucky is the stack when it
crapped.
>From softice you have more capacity but I don't want to ramble on.

Cheers.