[AWS] How to handle the result of a template-parsed string

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.org
Fri Apr 16 08:51:25 CEST 2004

Jessica, Vincent,

 > The template parser Parse function is returning a string.
 > So I see two ways to handle it:
 > 1) Call aws.response.build with the string as a parameter;

Yes, that's a standard usage.

 > 2) or Call aws.response.file: the string is stored in the file.

Not very efficient !

 > problem with 1) cascading style sheets (css) references in the string do
 > not work.

What's the problem?, this definitly should be working and I know AWS servers
that are using CSS.

 > problem with 2) what happens if 2 users request simultaneously the parsed
 > file with different data for each user: my file could be overwritten and one
 > user would not get the data he has requested.

That's indeed a concerned. If you want to pass by a file (which I think is
just plain wrong) you have also to add support for concurrency. So the
filenames should be different for each user.

 > And I don't think it is great to generate one file for each request.

Agreed.

 > What is the best way to implement that?

Using the first solution which should be ok with CSS.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|