[AWS] AWS Problem

Al Christians achrist@easystreet.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:23:24 -0700

Tonight I have hit an apparently bad problem trying to use aws-1.0
on NT 4.0 SP6 w gnat 3.13p.  This looks ugly and bad enough for me
to think that this might not be a problem with aws, but maybe with
gnat, Windows, my machine or IDK what.

I was trying to use the directory browse function.  It was giving
me trouble.  I inserted some debugging displays around line 450 of
aws-services-directory.adb:

      Dir_Str : constant String := End_Slash (Directory_Name);

   begin
      -- Added the following two lines:
      Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line( "Dir Name   =" & Directory_Name );
      Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line( "Dir String =" & Dir_Str );

These show:

	Dir Name   =J:/QAReview
	Dir String =l¦d?<+d?iew/

The first eight bytes of the answer are getting clobbered by something
somewhere.  IDK how.

Not trusting the End_Slash function, I rewrote it, but the exact same
problem remained.

Guessing that gnat might be taking some grievous liberties in code
generation on account of the 'constant' declaration of Dir_Str, I
pulled that out.  Not only did the problem remain, but I got a
blue screen of death when I closed the program after the resulting
crash.

My machine does have dual processors.  I'll take a wild guess that
these cause some problem with the tasking.  I don't have a clue.
I've tried port 1234, like the example, and also port 8943, and
no difference.

TIA for any ideas.

Al Christians