[University] F.A.O Quentin Ochem

Richard Ainsworth richard.ainsworth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 14:49:05 CET 2015

Dear M. Ochem,

I have just completed the first set of Ada-University learning modules
(Basic –concepts & Labs) and I want to compliment you on your excellent set
of presentations and lab exercises. They were very well presented and
stimulating.

Before I plough with the rest of the Adacore itinerary I want to take stock
of the best way forward, and take some advice, IF you (Adacore) are in a
position to give it.

In a nutshell, I want to acquire skills in ADA, but specifically in SPARK.
I have a copy of John Barnes’s book “High Integrity Software –The Spark
approach to safety and security” and although big and detailed (as one
would hope and expect) the size of the exercises is quite limited (for
those I’ve undertaken so far). I tend to find that most hard learning comes
with the job or by undertaking a substantial project of some sort. I’m a
little stumped as to what I should do after I’ve finished the Barnes book,
obviously I should put it into practice somehow, but on what ? I need a
spark of inspiration (no pun intended). So if you have any ideas regarding
the best way I should pursue my SPARK education then I’d very much like to
hear them.

For your information my background is primarily as an Electronic Engineer,
working 25+ years mostly in silicon design (ASIC/FPGA) writing VHDL. I knew
that VHDL took ADA as the reference when it was being defined, but it’s
only now, years later, having read your slides, that I fully grasp how much
overlap there is between the two languages.

Over the years I’ve worked on a couple of substantial embedded S/W projects
writing code in C & assembly language (X86! and ARM Cortex-M3), as well as
plenty of bash and TCL scripting in the H/W design area. But it’s in the
area of mission critical high-integrity S/W that I’d like to become
familiar next. You’re never too old to learn!

So, if you are in a position to be able to offer me some pointers as to how
I should best channel my efforts (towards gaining a degree of experience in
SPARK) then it would be greatly appreciated. If not then I quite understand.

Thank you for your time. And keep up the good work.

Best Regards, Richard Ainsworth.