[PolyORB-users] Problem installing PolyORB on Ubuntu 10.10

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Sat Dec 18 12:36:15 CET 2010

Alex Miller <reisnakealex at gmail.com> writes:
>>  May be you can give a try to the packaged version ?
>

>>   sudo apt-get install libpolyorb1-dev polyorb-servers polyorb-doc
>>
>>   It will save you a lots of time, and please the guys who packaged the
>>   software ;)
> I've already tried it... :( when I launch the command on shell it
> launchs me this error:
> "$ po_gnatdist
>
> raised SYSTEM.ASSERTIONS.ASSERT_FAILURE : xe_names.adb:138"
>
> I think it is because polyorb packaged version is old than gnat
> version! :(

And I think this is because you did not read the man page for
po_gnatdist, it says that po_gnatdist requires a configuration file on
its command line.  (I agree that the error reporting is sub-optimal).

More seriously: I was involved with the packaging of both gnat and
polyorb for Debian.  I patched gnat so it could understand the new DSA
protocol of polyorb; polyorb was also patched to work well with the
version of gnat in Debian.  The amount of effort was significant; this
implies that getting an arbitrary version of polyorb to compile and work
with an arbitrary version of gnat is very non-trivial.

So I think your best bet is still to use the Debian packages.  If you
find a problem, report it to the Debian bug tracking system
(http://bugs.debian.org).  You should use reportbug (package reportbug)
for this; it will automatically collect information vital to our
understanding the problem.

The reason why I mention Debian is because all of the Ada packagers work
on Debian and not Ubuntu.

--
Ludovic Brenta.