[PolyORB-users] [Debian packaging]Trying to build shared libs

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Fri Mar 13 15:03:48 CET 2009

Selon Thomas Quinot <quinot at adacore.com>:
> * Ludovic Brenta, 2009-03-12 :
>
> > If we want to provide DSA, we must either choose a version of
> PolyORB
> > that is compatible with PCS_Version=1 or backport the PCS_Version=3
> > From GNAT GPL 2009 Edition into GCC 4.4.  The problem with
> backporting
> > could be the licence: we cannot backport pure GPL software into the
> > GMGPL run-time library of GCC, lest we change the license of the
> > entire run-time library.  This problem disappears if someone
> convinces
> > me that s-parint.ad[sb] is part of the compiler, not the run-time
> > library.
>
> I think the backport is the best option, the change is safe and well
> isolated and there are no license issues (the version of s-parint in
> the
> compiler distribution is not impacted at all, keep in mind that
> PCS_Version is specific to each PCS variant!), the only impacted units
> are pure GPL units in the compiler itself.

OK, that's good news then.

> > These options are all open.  The one option that is not open at this
> > point is to package GNAT GPL 2009 Edition (the compiler); I simply
> > lack the manpower for that and Debian users have decided they prefer
> > the run-time library to be GMGPL, just like for all other languages
> > supported by GCC.
>
> That's a pity since the GPL release includes matched compiler and
> PolyORB versions that are known to be compatible.

The pity will disappear the instant AdaCore makes their GNAT GPL
repository public (as opposed to tarballs once a year).  It would become
possible to backport all compiler improvements necessary into GCC without
having to wait for either a GNAT GPL release or a GCC release.

--
Ludovic Brenta.