[PolyORB-users] PolyORB mutexes

Thomas Quinot quinot at adacore.com
Wed Apr 15 14:21:57 CEST 2009

* hector, 2009-04-15 :

> I am looking at PolyORB internals and I would like to know just a curiosity: why PolyORB uses POSIX-like mutexes by default instead standard Ada ones?

Purely for efficiency reasons. A mutex implemented as a standard Ada
protected object (PolyORB.Tasking.Profiles.Full_Tasking.Portable_Mutexes)
is much less efficient than one using the underlying OS mutexes directly
(PolyORB.Tasking.Profiles.Full_Tasking.Mutexes).

--
Thomas Quinot, Ph.D. ** quinot at adacore.com ** Senior Software Engineer
               AdaCore -- Paris, France -- New York, USA