[PolyORB-users] PolyORB mutexes

Jérôme Hugues hugues at telecom-paristech.fr
Wed Apr 15 14:20:24 CEST 2009

Le 15 avr. 09 à 14:13, hector a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at PolyORB internals and I would like to know just a
> curiosity: why PolyORB uses POSIX-like mutexes by default instead
> standard Ada ones?

Ada ones imply protected objects. The problem is that it would drag
the tasking runtime in all occasions, even if you intend to write a
client or server without explicit
needs for tasking. Here, we can have no-op mutexes for no tasking, PO-
based mutexes for tasking, and can adapt them for other runtime that
are purely POSIX, or other API

It is the same rationale for conditional variables and threads

--
Jérôme Hugues, TELECOM ParisTech
http://www.telecom-paristech.fr/~hugues