[PolyORB-users] Interoperability of PolyOrb with other CORBA implementations

Jérôme Hugues hugues at infres.enst.fr
Thu Jun 26 15:48:13 CEST 2008

Gustavo, please never ever send a zip file of 4MB to this public
mailing list, your mails got lost in spam folder that I
do not review regularly ..

Le 6 juin 08 à 10:43, Gustavo Ambrosio a écrit :

> I am working with PolyORB version gpl-2007 (https://libre.adacore.com/polyorb/
> ) and I would like to ask you a question related to interoperability
> between PolyORB and other ORBs. In particular I would be interested
> in achieving interoperability with TAO and Sun JDK ORB. I am trying
> to get interoperability by means of the so-called "Interoperable
> Naming Service". In the following links there are tutorials that
> explain how to implement the Interoperable Naming Service with TAO
> and Sun JDK ORB:

Interoperability is not defined by the fact you can parse a certain
type of references, but rather through interactions of requests.
PolyORB should work with TAO using IOR ..

> Sun JDK ORB: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/idl/INStutorial.html
> TAO: http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/TAO/docs/INS.html
>
> I am wondering if it would be possible do do something similar with
> ADA and the PolyORB. I attached the source code that I am using in
> order to get an example that is based on the Interoperable Naming
> Service. In the example the server registers an object with an ID
> ("Hello") by means of the function
> CORBA.ORB.Register_Initial_Reference. The client bootstrapps the
> object with the function
> CORBA.ORB.Resolve_Initial_References("HelloWorld"). I would be
> interested in executing the client with the following command line:
>
> ./client -ORBInitRef HelloWorld=corbaloc:iiop:1.2 at host:port/Hello
>
> The example compiles well but it doesn´t execute correctly cause the
> client doesn´t manage to narrow the reference of the remote object.
> Do you have any thoughts about how to program the Interoperable
> Naming Service?

First, you'll note that

1/ TAO uses a special API for that
2/ Sun JDK is a very bad example of CORBA compliancy, prefer JacORB

INS works this way

./server  --polyorb-iiop-polyorb-protocols-iiop-default_port=1234
(note in your README file you incorrectly spelt the name of the
property)

./client  -ORBInitRef HelloWorld=corbaloc:iiop:
1.2 at 137.194.192.102:1234//000000011Tc7f8f39010dabd4e
(note the corbaloc is the one provided by PolyORB)

Having "Hello" instead of the hexa digits is technically feasible, but
at the cost of a vendor specific
API. It is not planned for now.

>  P.S. I would also like to know if there is some kind of
> documentation for the API of PolyORB. Somethink like the typical
> Doxygen generated documentation or similar.

You can navigate source code through GPS

--
Jérôme Hugues, ENST Paris
http://www.enst.fr/~hugues