[PolyORB-users] Can't configure PolyOrb using MSYS and/or Cygwin on WinXP

Bob Duff duff at adacore.com
Mon Dec 29 12:51:03 CET 2008

Rob Groen wrote:

> I managed to get the ./configure thing getting to an end
> I used Cygwin, but with the hint of mounting /gnat to the right Windows
> directory. I had to do this from a MSDOS box (!) using Cygwin's mount,
> otherwise the mount table wasn't adjusted.

Here at AdaCore, we build PolyORB on Windows on a regular basis, using the
latest GNAT tools and latest PolyORB sources.  The version of make is:

@ make --version
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I've had trouble with older and newer versions.

Cygwin mount points can indeed be confusing.  I don't understand your comment
above about MSDOS box -- I always type the mount command to a Cygwin shell, and
it works just fine.

But the important thing is to set it up so windows and cygwin have the same
idea about directory names.  This is needed because the GNAT tools (and various
other programs) are not cygwin programs, and so do not understand cygwin mount
points (nor cygwin symbolic links).  So you want something like:

mount -f -s -b "c:/x" "/x"

for every top-level directory x that is of interest.

> (Note I did '> mount d:\<my directory>\polyorb-2.4.0-src /polyorb)

That sort of thing won't work -- GNAT will not understand /polyorb,
because it's not cygwin-aware.

GNAT does, however, allow "/" in path names, even on windows -- you don't need
to change all the "/" to "\".

- Bob