[PolyORB-users] Can't configure PolyOrb using MSYS and/or Cygwin on WinXP

Rob Groen robgr at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 29 12:25:15 CET 2008

Thnx guys for your replies.

I managed to get the ./configure thing getting to an end
I used Cygwin, but with the hint of mounting /gnat to the right Windows
directory. I had to do this from a MSDOS box (!) using Cygwin's mount,
otherwise the mount table wasn't adjusted.
Then I exported the path. Now, with the /gnat/bin path at the beginning
of the search path (it was also somewhere in the middle) ./configure
finished (the latter all in the Cygwin command shell)

Then, the next challenge: make (in the Cygwin command shell))
'Make' did build gnatprfh and po_gnatdist, but then it ran into trouble
trying to compile idlac.exe.
It had all the right search paths in the command, I even had
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH set, but it kept complaining that it could not find
plaform.ads. For sure it was in the compilers/common_files directory
Then I had an idea. I did the following:
$ ADA_INCLUDE_PATH='d:\ada\GNAT\polyorb-2.4.0-src\compilers\common_files'

so ADA_INCLUDE_PATH had a Windows syntax. And lo and behold: it compiled
idlac.exe!!
Then 'make' wanted to use this idlac.exe. This resulted in the
exception  PROGRAM_ERROR:
raised PROGRAM_ERROR : /polyorb/idls/CORBA_IDL: directory not found
make: *** [cos/event/CosEventChannelAdmin.idl-stamp] Error 1
this was the result off a call to idlac.exe with unix-like syntax in the
input parameters (Note I did '> mount d:\<my
directory>\polyorb-2.4.0-src /polyorb)

By now I am a bit worried: apparently my Ada compiler tools (and the
genereated ones) expect input params to be existing Windows directories
(in Windows style), while the makefile specifies unix-like paths. I
don't see any way how to work around this problem apart from tedious
copying the commands and converting them to Windows paths and syntax. I
don't think that is the intention of make...

Best regards,

Rob

--
Rob