[gvd-users] My first session on a supercomputer

Frode Tennebø gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:20:59 +0100

On Friday 21 March 2003 12:30, Arjan van Dijk wrote:

> I recompiled the short test program with the f90 compiler and tried
> to switch to dbx, which by the way does exist on the supercomputer.
> Switching to dbx was not allowed, since the tick-mark in the
> change-compiler menu was grey and inactive. Entering the name dbx in
> the lower field for debuggernames in the change-debugger menu did not
> help either: "unexpected internal error; please report" was shown at
> the bottom of gvd (by the way, in dutch "gvd" is a strong curse...).

Have you tried 'gvd -debugger=dbx'?

> Strange enough the man pages of the f90 compiler do not tell for
> which debugger the debug-info, that is generated by the -g compile
> option, is intended.

I believe the native format of Irix is dwarf2.

> When I tried to run gdb on the climate model,
> there was an error message with some text about Dwarf (see my first
> message). Wasn't Dwarf a debugger? Why would gdb complain about
> Dwarf?

Dwarf/Dwarf2 are formats in which debug information is stored in
object/binary files.

> GNU gdb 5.2
[snip]
> This is relatively recent, so I would hope that it can be used.

The question is wether it is configured for 32 bit or 64 bit dwarf-2
offset. I'm not up to speed but I did

> I now see two options to proceed:
>
> -Try to install a newer g77 version that eats f90. I don't like this
> option very much, since the whole climate model is set up to use all
> sorts of optimizations and compile-switches that are specific for
> this compiler.

I don't think g77 will compile f90 code.

> -Use a different debugger or make the debug-info readable for gdb,
> but how?

See my comment above about --debugger.

> Who sees better options or can help otherwise?

After some searching on the web to does appear that gdb (5.3 was release
last month) should read dwarf1 & 2 binaries. However, this is not
really an issue related to gvd. I suspect you can get better help,
perhaps from someone with first hand experience, from any of the gdb
newsgroups/mailinglists around.

Regards,
 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: frode@tennebo.com | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |