[gvd-users] My first session on a supercomputer

Arjan van Dijk gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:30:39 +0100

>Have you tried running it in a single-processor environment (no -mp)?

Yes, the program was already compiled for single processor.

>Yes, gvd works, but it's not a debugger - only a front-end.

Of course. I think that I can assume that gvd itself works, but that
the debugger does not want to talk with my executable.

>Perhaps you use g77? Or a different combination of compiler, debugger
>and compiler options?

Probably. I just managed to get the example program, with just a few
lines, running in gvd on the supercomputer. I had to use the g77
compiler instead of the f90 compiler. The problem is that my climate
model is pure fortran90 and the g77 version on the supercomputer does
not eat f90. The command "g77 --version" gives:

>GNU Fortran 0.5.26 20020220 (release)
>Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>For more version information on components of the GNU Fortran
>compilation system, especially useful when reporting bugs,
>type the command `g77 --verbose'.
>
>GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>You may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran
>under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
>For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING
>or type the command `info -f g77 Copying'.

The man pages make clear that files of type *.f90 are not recognized
and there is no reference to f90 anyhow. Would it be fair to ask the
systems support of the supercomer to install a more recent g77?

>  > Would it be a problem if I used a non-gnu compiler to make
>>  my executable from the Fortran sources? I used the MIPSpro 7 Fortran
>>  90 compiler, which is the default compiler that is activated by
>>  "f90".
>
>That would be very much a problem if gdb does not support the
>environment you run in. Is it an older version of gdb (current is 5.x)?
>Is it 64bit compatible (I guess your software is compilled for 64 bit)?
>etc.

I recompiled the short test program with the f90 compiler and tried
to switch to dbx, which by the way does exist on the supercomputer.
Switching to dbx was not allowed, since the tick-mark in the
change-compiler menu was grey and inactive. Entering the name dbx in
the lower field for debuggernames in the change-debugger menu did not
help either: "unexpected internal error; please report" was shown at
the bottom of gvd (by the way, in dutch "gvd" is a strong curse...).

Strange enough the man pages of the f90 compiler do not tell for
which debugger the debug-info, that is generated by the -g compile
option, is intended. When I tried to run gdb on the climate model,
there was an error message with some text about Dwarf (see my first
message). Wasn't Dwarf a debugger? Why would gdb complain about
Dwarf? The gdb version is:

GNU gdb 5.2
This GDB was configured as "mips-sgi-irix6.5".

This is relatively recent, so I would hope that it can be used.

I now see two options to proceed:

-Try to install a newer g77 version that eats f90. I don't like this
option very much, since the whole climate model is set up to use all
sorts of optimizations and compile-switches that are specific for
this compiler.

-Use a different debugger or make the debug-info readable for gdb, but how?

Who sees better options or can help otherwise?

Thanks,

Arjan

--
Arjan van Dijk
Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht

phone: +31 30 2532815
fax:   +31 30 2543163
e-mail: mailto:A.vanDijk@phys.uu.nl
homepage: http://www.phys.uu.nl/~vndijk