[gvd-users] My first session on a supercomputer

Frode Tennebø gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:37:38 +0100

On Thursday 20 March 2003 15:04, Arjan van Dijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I downloaded the pre-compiled gvd binary for Irix6 and
> installed it on the Teras supercomputer from SARA in Amsterdam. My
> aim is to get a climate model running named "echam5". The executable
> of echam5 does run when I call it directly from the unix prompt, but
> it crashes after a while.

Have you tried running it in a single-processor environment (no -mp)?

> This is where I want to use gvd. I
> recompiled all fortran90-modules with debug-info (option -g3, which
> allows for debugging of optimized code) and linked the program. When
> I type "gvd echam5" the graphical environment of gvd comes up
> (hurray!! It works!!!).

Yes, gvd works, but it's not a debugger - only a front-end.

On Thursday 20 March 2003 17:06, Arjan van Dijk wrote:

> I already used gvd on
> a different machine with fortran code, so I don't expect this to be a
> problem.

Perhaps you use g77? Or a different combination of compiler, debugger
and compiler options?

> Would it be a problem if I used a non-gnu compiler to make
> my executable from the Fortran sources? I used the MIPSpro 7 Fortran
> 90 compiler, which is the default compiler that is activated by
> "f90".

That would be very much a problem if gdb does not support the
environment you run in. Is it an older version of gdb (current is 5.x)?
Is it 64bit compatible (I guess your software is compilled for 64 bit)?
etc.

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: frode@tennebo.com | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |