[gvd-users] GVD and Windows 98

Arnaud Charlet gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:23:42 +0100

> First question: from the web site I realize it was not supposed to work
> on Windows 98, only on NT/2000 systems. Is this right? What are the
> reasons? May I hope this will be reverted and I'll again be able to use
> future releases of GVD?

You should take a look at the archives of this list, this question has
already been asked many times.

Answer: nothing in GVD is Windows NT specific, but Windows 98 is known to be
ureliable, so if GVD works, good for you, if it doesn't, too bad.

> Second one: is there any plan to support the Pascal language, so I can
> navigate through Pascal records and linked structures on the Data Window?

Not on our side, but patches are very welcome.

> By the way, some variables I am able to "print" can't be displayed on
> the data window. Could this be made possible even if the Data Window is
> not able to recongnize and parse the data types, just displaying
> whatever the "print" command from gdb shows?

Yes, using graph display `print foo`, as explained in the documentation.

> Besides this, I am eager to see better Java and jdb support from GVD.
> This what I miss before making GVD my main debugger under Windows and
> GNU/Linux.

Honestly, you should not hold your breath for it.
We've used jdb as an alternate (partial) implementation to verify that GVD
could support multiple debuggers, but jdb is such a weak debugger (really
it isn't a debugger, just a simple application using the jave debugging API)
that having a powerful GUI front-end like GVD on top of it will simply
show jdb's weaknesses in a more obvious way (making it crash for instance).

But again, patches are welcome to support either Java, JDB or both in GVD.

Arno