[gvd-users] Win2000 questions form a new user

Andy Nevill gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:22:26 +0100

I have just installed GVD and I am trying to use it to debug code =
written for a DSP which uses a derivative of GDB as its debugger. The =
debugger is located on the same machine as the compiled executable and =
GVD.

I can run GVD by double clicking it in explorer however when I try to =
point it at the inferior debugger by using File-> Open New debugger I =
can't work out where to put the debugger executable and the program to =
be debugged. The only configuration which appears to get any result is =
to put the executable to be debugged in the "Program File" field and the =
inferior debugger executable in the "Debugger Host" field. In this case =
GVD starts up and opens its three windows but as soon as I try to do =
anything I get a dialog box with "The debugger stopped unexpectedly" and =
everything closes.

So I decided to try to use the command line options instead. However I =
can't run GVD from the command line, each time I enter "gdv <return>" =
nothing happens. There is no complaint that the file does not exist or =
is not an executable. My next attempt was to create a shortcut and put =
the command line switches in there. Again nothing happens unless I get =
the switches wrong in which case a dialog box appears telling me what =
switches are allowed.

Any help would be gratefully received.=20

Thanks

Andy Nevill