[gvd-users] Memory view wit remote serial target

Arnaud Charlet gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:23:56 +0200

> I am using GVD with a remote serial target and everything seems to work
> really well apart from a few minor problems. The biggest problem is that the
> memory view is extremely slow, taking about 30 seconds to refresh the window
> after entering an address. During that time the serial comms are very
> active. Presumably GVD is fetching a lot more data than neccessary. Is there
> any way of stopping this behaviour?

Well, it is fetching all the data that it is displaying, which might
be more than you might want. That being said, there might be ways to
improve/reduce the communication between gdb and the target.

You can always use e.g a graph display `x/20w 0x...` instead.

> Also is there any way of passing arguments to GDB on the command line?

Yes, using --dargs, see gvd --help and the gvd documentation.

> Although I have only been using GVD seriously for a very short time I am
> very impressed. Compared to Insight it is more responsive, has more useful
> features and I much prefer the layout. Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

Arno