[gvd-users] GVD - NT4 no display

Daniel Rosenzweig gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:01:17 -0400

I can't I find a follow-up option. Anyway, I'm using the precompiled
WinNT/2000 binaries on an NT 4 machine- and the UI never comes
up. What other pieces of info do you want?
The goal is for remote debugging, but I've even tried local stuff, just
to get the UI up... like:
gvd --debugger debug testfile.exe
No UI...
If I do gvd, the "GDB debugger is not found" gtk screen comes up...
and that's it.

I started downloading Cygwin to try and compile GVD myself (at
least for Win98 use, so that I can try debugging from home---
although I will be changing to Win ME soon)--- but d/ling it on a dial-
up is very SLOW (and the mirror I was using, would only send data
a few times a minute... so I finally quit). Which Cygwin packages
do I need to compile GVD from scratch? I'll have to look at the
posted Win98 comments for reference too. When compiled with
Cygwin, to execute GVD, do I just need a cygwin.dll, or do I need
to 'install' Cygwin there (actually more of a Cygwin question). Can I
specify statically linked libraries vs dynamically linked libraries
(makes for a large executable, but more portable).

Is there any way to get the correct versions of the supporting DLLs
for the 'posted' (last month) Win98 binary? (Anybody have Win98
executables dynamically linked to up to date DLLs?)
Thanks alot! I really look forward to gettingt this to work!

I see DDD is similar, but doesn't have a win32 port (binaries), I may
try to compile it once I get Cygwin working (but then I'll need a
local X server to view things). Actually HP itself has an
experimental win32 graphical debugger which will remotely debug
HP servers... BUT it requires Visual C++.... which, being a Unix
programmer, I don't have!
---------
Daniel Rosenzweig
danielzr@netzero.net
The URLs below are placed by NetZero - not me.

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
http://www.netzero.net