[gvd-devel] Download Problems with GVD for Linux

Arnaud Charlet charlet@ACT-Europe.FR
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:53:58 +0200

Thanks for your feedbaqck, however I am afraid there's nothing we can
do to help you, see below.

> The first time I attempted to download from my Linux machine using Mozilla
> and all went well until I selected the directory where I wished to place the
> tar file. The problem is your dialog box code places an extra slash in the
> download path and, of course, the download fails. For example, if I select
> the directory "/Debugger", it will try Saving To:
> "/Debugger//gvd-1.2.5-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tgz".

First, the download is handled entirely by your browser, so this is not
under our control. then, any unix system handled double slashes as a
single directory separator, so this not cause any trouble.

> Since that didn't work, I tried to download from my Windows machine but
> there was a problem there with the size of the tar file (over 3 MB). The
> SAVE AS dialog box first selects the floppy A: drive (limited to 1.44MB
> maximum) and the download also fails. It would be convenient to divide into
> two smaller files that fit on floppies.

Well, this is the 21st century, you can't expect being able to browse the
Web and download files if you do not have a hard drive available.

> After all these tries, I finally managed to download to my hard drive but it
> was way too much hassle.
>
> Hope you can work it out so the next person has less trouble.

Nobody else has had any trouble downloading gvd, so I am afraid the troubles
are more on your side.

Cheers,

Arno