[gvd-devel] (no subject)

Carlisle Martin C Dr USAFA/DFCS Martin.Carlisle@usafa.af.mil
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:27:38 -0600

As pointed out by Gautier, -largs -g saves the b~ files.  I deliberately do
not do this, as their presence tends to confuse students.  In teaching the
debugger, I tell them to do "break name_of_main_procedure" then "run" at the
start.  I find this easier than trying to explain to the intro programmers
about the purpose of the files generated by the binder.

Martin C. Carlisle, PhD
Associate Professor and Advisor in Charge
Department of Computer Science
United States Air Force Academy

-----Original Message-----
From: Gautier de Montmollin [mailto:gdemont@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 4:07 AM
To: gvd-devel@lists.act-europe.fr
Cc: carlislem@acm.org
Subject: Re: [gvd-devel] (no subject)

# > I compile with -g flag, it even works when I load the source... # >
Aaaaaaaah tilt! Everything works perfect if I "gnatmake -g" from the # >
command line, but AdaGIDE, even with "-g", builds with some binder # >
option that destroys somehow the "b~..." files and maybe # > relative
information necessary to GVD.

# Right, AdaGIDE is probably doing something like
# gnatmake main -cargs -g
# which is *not* equivalent to
# gnatmake -g main
# What is equivalent is
# gnatmake main -cargs -g -largs -g
# Even if I would suggest using the simple form gnatmake -g main # # Arno

Adding "-largs -g" in the "GNAT local options" indeed cures
the problem: gnatlink has a "-g" and GVD runs now with
every trees, subtrees and so on...
Woa, that's a sexy debugger 8-P !
Certainly an improvement potential to AdaGIDE (not difficult
to solve: only the "gnatmake" command to adapt a bit).

Gautier