[gtkada] AZip for Gtk

Gautier de Montmollin gdemont at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:14:04 CEST 2018

Hello,

Is anyone here tempted by participating a bit in the development of the
GtkAda layer for my all-in-Ada Zip archive manager, AZip (
http://azip.sf.net )?
I did not follow the developments of GtkAda or Gtk at all, so I'm a bit
lost. I read from time to time about incompatibilities across changes in
Gtk.
AZip in its pure Windows form (using the GWindows toolkit) is getting
some visibility (e.g. here:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20374#p91505 ),
but I think a GtkAda version would be cool for Linux platforms:
   - for users: having access to unique features like built-in search
inside archive, or recompression of archives
   - for the Ada community: such an application can be a good
advertisement for the language.
The good news for porting to other toolkits is that a large part is
ui-independent, or abstracted using generics (all operations on
archives: extract, add/replace, delete, test, update, recompress).

There is already a Gtk stub from 2013 but with only a message box or so.
An AZip window is relatively simple, with a tree on the left (can be
hidden for the "flat" mode), a divider, and a list on the right (sliding
with the divider).
If someone can help me with this layout (typically very difficult for a
beginner but very easy for accustomed programmers in a certain toolkit)
I could continue from there - even an empty tree (or with a couple of
bogus nodes) and an empty list (with one bogus row, two columns and an
icon).
On plain Windows, I'm using the multi-document (MDI) windows, that is, a
main window containing a natural number of child windows.
If Gtk(Ada) doesn't have MDI, it's no problem having just a single main
window.

The sources can be retrieved this way:
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/azip/code/trunk azip-code
or from GitHub: